Search alphabetically: ? All Flora Species # |A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |Y |Z

Search by types : Herbs Grasses Shrubs Trees Cacti Succulents Fungi Moss Lichen Algae Ferns Palms Epiphytes Miscellaneous

Starting from scratch

Thursday 13 August 2015  at 6:25 pm
Gardening is my passion. Growing plants in the ground is even a bigger passion of mine. Keeping the plants alive is not a problem at all. I think I was born in a rainforest (not an actual fact!!!!!) as the way I garden matches that of being in a rainforest. I have this inate ability to water plants a lot, put on too much leaf litter (anything I can find really within a 1km radius of where I live) and am more worried about keeping the soil cool than fertilizing using unnatural products. My fertilizer is whatever I can find, from fallen leaves, bark, to vegetable scraps, all just thrown on top of the soil to rot down by itself.

As I privately rent the place I'm in I am trying to do something with the recently relocated garden. I must admit it does get a lot more sunlight than the old one did but I'm kind of stuck at the moment for not so much ideas rather how to get things going.

You see I've discovered I am hopeless at getting cuttings to take root. I've tried every method known to man, sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. I can get seeds to germinate as long as the sun is shining. But that's where I mess things up in all my excitement. The seeds I get germinated inside, in winter, just end up by rotting the moment I move them into pots placed near a window. It's so bad that the end result is the bark chips end up developing roots in the bottom of the pots. What the heck?

So, I've decided to do one thing different - WORK WITH NATURE NOT AGAINST IT. If potted up seedlings just rot in the pot but anything like wood chips developes roots in the same pot in a matter of just 7 days, then shouldn't I be putting cuttings at the bottom of the pot (or somewhere deep in the pot) instead? I think so, if that's what working.

I need to rethink everything about my gardening skills. The only successful thing I can get to grow is moss, bark chips; and can easily maintain a cool, wet soil condition with minimal maintenance and very little water. In Summer our garden has it's own tropical, humid ecosystem; perfect for tropical plants I might add. But with no shade established for the garden plants yet and only a few plants growing that are not even into their first growth season it seems like an endless task waiting for Spring to come along so the plants will grow.

I live in a subtropical highlands area where establishing anything subtropical should not be a problem. I think I am the problem as I'm not doing it right and not working with nature and the climate. Its time I changed and start getting it right else there will be nothing much else growing in my garden except for what is already there.

0 comments:

Your Answer Thanks for contributing an answer to Blogger Tutorials for everyone! Please make sure your answer is NOT a SPAM comment, as such comments will be deleted. Provide details and share your research. Avoid statements based solely on opinion; only make statements you can back up with an appropriate reference, or personal experiences. Comment Options to add to the form below:
Of course, you can add various combinations of the above to your comment as long as you place the ending tags in the right locations.


Features:

To change your text to bold simply type in a left facing arrow then a UPPERCASE letter b then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /B and then a right facing arrow.

To change your text to italics simply type in a left facing arrow then a lowercase letter i then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /i and then a right facing arrow.

To change the colour of your text type in [co="red"]Add your text here[/co] You can change the colour of the text by either typing in the colour's word or by adding a hex colour code that includes the hash symbol.

Your text goes here. To add a marquee text type in [ma]Add your text here[/ma]

To add an image or gif type in [im]Add your image or gif URL here[/im]

Of course, you can add various combinations of the above to your comment as long as you place the ending tags in the right locations.

To add a Youtube video as a comment use either one of the two codes below and replace the video url with the one you want to add as a comment.
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-WATCH-PAGE-ON-YOUTUBE-HERE]
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-watch?feature=player_detailpage-HERE]

FAQ

YOUR OPINION COUNTS! A list of topics that I am thinking of writing about but need feedback from visitors before I go ahead with it.

Click to view more Pages
 

Talking Avatar

Back To Top Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own Logo

Scroll to Bottom Back To Top