Search alphabetically: ? All Flora Species # |A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |Y |Z

Search by types : Herbs Grasses Shrubs Trees Cacti Succulents Fungi Moss Lichen Algae Ferns Palms Epiphytes Miscellaneous

Fruit tree seed germination using ziplock bags

Thursday 3 September 2015  at 8:08 pm
Since the 27th July 2015 I have been germinating fruit tree seeds using a new method I discovered on Youtube. Basically, you remove the seed coating from the washed seed of a lemon, lime, orange, mandarin, pear, etc and place the seed/s on a damp paper towel, fold the towel over, then seal it all in a ziplock bag. You then put the bag in a container with a lid and place in a warm spot.

Not having a warm spot in my place in winter I decided to put my container on top of my modem for my internet from time to time. I have Mandarins, Lemons, Pears, and one Yellow Pawpaw that have germinated to date. Basically every seed I germinated this way has germinated or in the process of germinating.

These seeds below were the beginning of my Mandarin seeds germinating.


All the Mandarin seeds have germinated but the weather has been too cold for any real progress for the seeds to sprout above the surface yet. The only seed that has sprouted above the surface is a lone Pear tree seed pictured below.


The Pear tree is so tiny with it's 5 little leaves but it is growing roots fast and has made more leaf growth in the last few days. I will soon need to repot it.

Today I checked all my remaining seeds, and had to pot up 1 Yellow Pawpaw, 2 Pears, 2 Mandarins, and 2 Lemons. Finally all my lemon and mandarin seeds have germinated.

Below is a picture I took today of 2 of the Pear seeds that had germinated, and I was quite surprised at how big they were.



I have a total of:
1 x Yellow Pawpaw seedlings
2 x Lemon seedlings
3 x Pear seedlings
7 x Mandarin seedlings

That's going to be a lot of fruit from 13 trees. I already have a home for all of these seedlings that I am not keeping. I have more pear and pawpaw seeds trying to germinate but with the warmer weather on the way I'm sure they will germinate very soon.

I am also trying to germinate fig seeds and star fruit seeds but both just don't seem to want to germinate. I didn't try to germinate these particular seeds the same way as the ones in the ziplock bags.

0 comments:

Your Answer Thanks for contributing an answer to Blogger Tutorials for everyone! Please make sure your answer is NOT a SPAM comment, as such comments will be deleted. Provide details and share your research. Avoid statements based solely on opinion; only make statements you can back up with an appropriate reference, or personal experiences. Comment Options to add to the form below:
Of course, you can add various combinations of the above to your comment as long as you place the ending tags in the right locations.


Features:

To change your text to bold simply type in a left facing arrow then a UPPERCASE letter b then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /B and then a right facing arrow.

To change your text to italics simply type in a left facing arrow then a lowercase letter i then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /i and then a right facing arrow.

To change the colour of your text type in [co="red"]Add your text here[/co] You can change the colour of the text by either typing in the colour's word or by adding a hex colour code that includes the hash symbol.

Your text goes here. To add a marquee text type in [ma]Add your text here[/ma]

To add an image or gif type in [im]Add your image or gif URL here[/im]

Of course, you can add various combinations of the above to your comment as long as you place the ending tags in the right locations.

To add a Youtube video as a comment use either one of the two codes below and replace the video url with the one you want to add as a comment.
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-WATCH-PAGE-ON-YOUTUBE-HERE]
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-watch?feature=player_detailpage-HERE]

FAQ

YOUR OPINION COUNTS! A list of topics that I am thinking of writing about but need feedback from visitors before I go ahead with it.

Click to view more Pages
 

Talking Avatar

Back To Top Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own Logo

Scroll to Bottom Back To Top